Poway shooter John T. Earnest to spend life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Under a plea deal reached by San Diego Superior Court Judge Peter Deddeh in July, Earnest defended the death sentence.

Armed with an AR-15 rifle, Earnest, 19 at the time, killed 60-year-old Lori Gilbert Kaye, who was there to honor her late mother, and injured three others, including a rabbi and eight-year-old. girl, while praying inside a synagogue in San Diego’s San Diego district. They were among the more than a dozen people in the synagogue at that time.

Kaye’s daughter, Hannah, said she hoped he had been caught red-handed in a painting “white supremacist, violent, racist-looking riot. So now.”

“My mother’s voice is restored within me,” he added. “John Earnest, your bullets won’t break my body today like they did my mother. She’s here. She’s alive in my words … You can’t destroy the truth of my experiences as much as you would like.”

However. Hannah Kaye said, she refused to degrade or hate Earnest in the same way she did her mother.

“I want to take this opportunity to recognize, with humility the opportunity to be able to stand in front of my mother’s murderer and to be able to speak directly to her and honor my mother,” he said.

Dr. Howard Kaye, a 32-year-old sacrificial man, called Earnest a “wicked” man who took the life of a “high man,” a “healthy woman” and a “daughter of an organization” known for his acts of kindness.

“This removes the sting in his murder,” he said.

Ellen Edwards recalled the day she was told that her sister had been killed. He screamed. She remembered struggling to take the matter to her father, and sadness and fear filled her days.

“I will never forget the look on his face when we told him,” he said of his father. “The truck was an eyeball for him.”

One sister, Randi Grossman, called Earnest a “bad example of humanity” who followed “the best of human beings.”

“Lori was the center of her family, in the middle of her community,” he said.

Others spoke of the long-term consequences of the attack, including pain, anxiety and nightmares. Some lamented that Earnest was pardoned to death, but others wished him a long and lonely life in solitary confinement.

In a statement in July, the district attorney general’s office said he hoped Earnest’s stay in prison was “an appropriate solution to the atrocities and hopefully brings justice and imprisonment to the victims, their families, friends and the public.” locally. “

The decision to grant his request, the office said, came after consultation with the families of the shooters.

Earlier this month, Earnest pleaded guilty to more than a hundred counts of felony criminal mischief – including 55 counts of felony criminal mischief for firing on a sculpture with a shotgun, and conspiracy to commit felony criminal mischief.

It was the same reading for everyone inside the synagogue, according to the prosecutors of the union. As part of the case, prosecutors said an open letter was sent online shortly before the shooting that had Earnest’s name on it.

The letter was filled with anti-Semitic and White anti-Semitic allegations, and the author spoke out against a plot to attack in Wayow, citing a 2018 gunshot wound at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh – and a gunman killing people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

CNN’s Cheri Mossburg contributed to this report.


Leave a Comment